Communitybuilders is looking to invest in high quality organisations with strong governance and management, that are seeking to become more financially independent and less grant dependent through activities that have community relevance and social value.
Organisations must be:
- based and working in England;
- operating for the benefit of a defined neighbourhood;
- locally controlled with local people or representatives of local groups making the spending, staffing and other decisions around priorities;
- multi-purpose – providing or hosting a number of different activities and services;
- working inclusively within their community, including marginalised groups;
- empower, or plan to empower, their community through multi-purpose community development and stimulating community-led action; and
- have a track record of delivering to the community it is based in.
In addition to meeting the above criteria, priority will be given to applications that fall within one of the following priority areas:
- Are based in areas of high deprivation (ie the 20% most deprived areas in the Index of Multiple Deprivation).
- Can demonstrate a high degree of un-met social need in their neighbourhood and have a specific plan in place to meet these needs.
- Already have, or plan to raise, financial community contributions as part of their overall funding requirements.
Organisations can apply for between £10,000 and £25,000, and up to five days’ business support is also available. Investments will have a minimum 80% loan element and an interest rate of 5% will be charged on the loan.